Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

Sick!

I hate being sick.  Luckily, so far I am not.  However, several children are.  Ginga' has had a sore throat and fever for 5 days now.  Rock started up with his about 3 days ago, and Squirrel woke up with a fever this morning.  Apple is grumpy, but it's hard to tell if she's sick or teething.  I think perhaps a bit of both.  Both boys have almost lost their voices, and sweet Nutmeg has done the paper route the past 3 days, and will be doing it again tomorrow, unless she wakes up sick.  I sure hope not.  This seems to be a forever bug that likes to linger on and on.  We had to cancel our youth classes for tomorrow, because 3 of the 4 mentors have sick kids, we would've carried on, but I got a phone call the mom who is the mentor over the science/math lens this evening saying that they had a little sick one too!  It's crazy!  I can't believe how many are ill.  Hopefully everyone will be back on their game for next week.  Lest, it seems I'm complaining too much, let's look at the positives we can find in all this.

1. Ginga' has time now to study for the class that he thought he would have to miss.  Yea!!
2. The blood typing kits didn't arrive in time for class tomorrow, so we were going with plan B, but now they should be here for next week and we can have fun poking our fingers and figuring out what everyone's blood type is.  We are talking about William Harvey, who back in the 1600's figured out blood circulation.  I was pretty excited to discuss him and do the experiment of blood typing too, so hopefully we are all better next week.
3. When sickness hits, it makes us grateful for all that those who are sick do to help out around here.  Paper route, laundry, dishes, garbage, animals, etc.  I am SO grateful for all my children do, they are wonderful.
4. I'm not sick, so I can take care of everyone else so much better!
5. Nutmeg isn't sick, so she can help me with all the extra work, and she is usually caught delightfully singing her way through the endless amount of work that she and I share.
6. Apple took 2, that's right count them, 2 awesome naps today.  One was 2 1/2 hours and the other was 2 hours.  What a tender mercy, and I totally needed her to do that.  Usually, she takes one really good nap (1 1/2-2 hours), and then a cat nap.  So, at least if she's going to be sick, she's sleeping rather decently.  (Now that I said that, she will probably sleep awful tonight, I know, I'm a bit superstitious, but there it is.)
7. Even though the boys don't feel like reading or doing much of anything except laying around, I can sneak learning in a little, by offering the tablet with learning apps on them, and telling them that is all they are allowed to do on it.  Ginga' learned a lot of geography  today that way, he found he can find and identify 80% of the countries and their capitals in Asia.  Sweet!
8. Rock has been practicing math facts like crazy, because I found this app that is sort of a angry birds/math thing.  He has to get the ninja guy to the correct answer by tilting and tweaking different things.  Nutmeg likes it too.
9. Squirrel continues to play pretty well as long as she's medicated.  She spent quite a lot of time with the 'Think it through tiles' today.  They are made by discovery toys. Here's a link if you're curious.
Think it through tiles
10. Because of the changes to class tomorrow, I got to talk to some of my favorite people on the phone.  I know that I could do that anytime, but life gets so hectic that sometimes I just don't get to it, even though I would really like too!

There is so much to be grateful for, even when the situation is less than ideal.  I could keep going, but I think you have the idea.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Funny, I've been thinking through a sick post as well. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete