Friday, March 29, 2013
Inspiration
A few years ago, Ginga' was taking piano lessons. I think he only did it for a year or so. He hated it. Finally, I gave in and said fine, don't take lessons. I'm sure I said something like, "Someday, you will be sorry that you didn't learn to play the piano. Every adult I've ever met that took and quite has said that they wished they'd stuck with it." Or something like that. However, in our home we do things a little differently when it comes to learning, it's called Inspire, not require. It's really hard to do. It requires you as the parent to model the behavior or actions or whatever it is that you want your children to do, you know, setting the example. Anyway, back to the piano, he quit and we let him. I tried really hard to not harp about, and I tried to do the example thing. However, I'm just really not very good, no matter how much I practice, I can't get my fingers to work together unless it's a really easy song. But this is the cool part. Mr. T decided that he wanted to brush up on his skills, so he ordered a sonatinas book that he used to play out of when he was a youth. He began to sit and practice for sometimes an hour at a time when he got home from work. I think it was a relaxing thing for him to do. I can't remember when he started this, but I'm sure it's been at least a year, maybe more. He doesn't do it every day, but he does do it more days than not. He would sit and work hard at one song, over and over to get it just right. These are beautiful songs, that just make your heart soar. Well, it has been so cool to see the inspire thing work. But it hasn't been easy or quick. The last few months, Ginga' has decided that he wanted to learn to play some of them as well. And can I just say, that I can't stop him. He is so passionate about it, and he has gotten really good a several songs really pretty quickly. The first song he started on, he struggled to read the notes, it's been a long time after all and he really hadn't gotten very far when he had lessons. I came in one day to see the piano flashcards out, and him studying them intensely so he could learn those notes he didn't know. No one made him do it. He wanted to do it. So awesome! Sometimes as a parent trying to school them this way, you find yourself doubting and wondering if all this is really working and if all the hard work I'm putting into it is going to pay off. Should I really trust this system? But time and again the results come out and I see the amazing growth that my children are getting from this kind of learning. I am so grateful to be able to take this journey with them. Even though it's hard sometimes. But that's life, right? It will be worth it.
Labels:
Ginga,
homeschooling
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love it. Love it. Thanks for sharing!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou mentioned Piano Guys the other day. I don't know if it's still on Jon's website, but he used to have a free note reading course on there. Plus they sell his piano music. Maybe something to try out.
ReplyDelete