So, I have decided to make this candy dish into something healthier. It's a nut bowl now! Look at those yummy nuts in there. The kids love that they can just take a few anytime they want. And they are raw, so they don't over indulge in them as they would if they were roasted and salted.
Also, these aren't just any raw nuts. I have soaked and sprouted them, then dehydrated them so that they are extra nutritious. Here's the best part though. I used to HATE walnuts. There's not very many things that I feel that strongly about, but walnuts were one of them. They were just so bitter, and would give your mouth sores if you ate to many of them. Any one else have that experience? Maybe it's just me. :) But, when you soak those babies, they become so yummy that they are often the first ones I go to in the bowl. The bitterness is gone. They end up with a nice mild flavor. Fabulous!
Our other snacks around here are just an increase of raw fruits and veggies. Although this past week we haven't gotten many of those into people since there have been so many sore throats. So glad we are almost past that. Back to carrots and apples and nuts! Wahoo!


soaked AND sprouted? Wow...you are ambitious, woman! Can't wait to come try some :)!
ReplyDeleteIt's not as hard as it sounds. :) From my limited study on it, nuts begin to sprout when you soak them. So all you actually do to achieve a sprouted nut is soak the nuts for 12-24 hours, drain and rinse and stick on the dehydrator. I wish you could come try some now! Hopefully in a few years the novelty of my desire to be more healthy won't have worn off, and you can try some! :)
ReplyDelete